Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Roadkill Venison Chili Poutine

The weather was pretty nice this week. Nothing to complain about, fortunately. 

Hahahaha It has been another amazing week full of….. MEETINGS! Yeah it was another one of those weeks where we had over half of our day on Wednesday and Friday taken up by meetings and travelling back from meetings! And of course, Sunday is meetings as well so really we only had 4 days to actively be missionaries. Which may seem like a lot but it's not enough hahahaha. But in the words of one of my favorite movies Over the Hedge adapted to meet my needs as a missionary (underlined where I changed the quote):

(this is courtesy of Elder Tarter.)
RJ: [showing the other people back home around the work] They *always* got to teach with them. We learn to live - these missionary guys live to teach! Let me show you what I'm talking about!
RJ: [as he speaks, he shows the other animals what humans do] The missionary mouth is called a 'talk-with-everyone device', the missionary is called an 'elder'.
RJ: [signifies telephone] *That* is a device to summon teaching appointments.
RJ: [signifies doorbell] That is one of the many voices of meeting people.
RJ: [signifies front door] *That* is the portal for the passing of the restoration.
RJ: [signifies delivery truck] *That* is one of the many transportation vehicles. Missionaries bring the Gospel, take the Gospel, ship the Gospel, they drive the Gospel, they wear the Gospel!
RJ: [signifies passalong cards] *That* gets the lesson going!
RJ: [signifies pamphlets] *That* keeps the lesson going!
RJ: [signifies book of mormon] *That*... I'm not sure what that is.
RJ: [kids open the book of mormon and Verne yells] Well, what do you know? LESSON!
RJ: [signifies table where family prays] *That* is the altar where they WORSHIP God!
RJ: [signifies advert for pizza] That's what they eat when they've taught TOO MUCH!
RJ: [signifies atonement] *That* gets rid of the guilt so they can teach MORE LESSONS! LESSONS! LESSONS! LESSONS! LEEESSSOONNS! So, you think they have enough?
RJ: [everybody nods] Well, they don't. For Elders, enough is *never* enough!

Tuesday was good. In the morning we helped some members build a beehive and paint the hive. The members were actually Ryan Gosling's Uncle and Aunt. It was pretty fun and I got to learn a lot about bees. I am probably going to start a beehive when I go home haha. That evening we were invited to go to a barbecue by a nonmember who we have been doing a lot of service for. It was actually quite funny because when we showed up,of course as per usual we were running a few minutes behind schedule, there were only members from the church there! Hahahaha the nonmember Kim had invited all of her friends from work to come and they were all members! As well she is really interested in learning about the church so we have a feeling it will be easy to find people who will be her friend as soon as she comes to church. We are pretty pumped about that!

Wednesday was one of our meeting days and then we went on exchanges with the Owen Sound elders. I got to stay in Orangeville with the wonderful Elder Colten Alan Beddes. Which. By the way, he goes home soon so if any of you chicas want his email I would be more than willing to hook you up. It was really fun being on exchanges with him again. He is a super good guy. Hahah.

Thursday the exchange continued with service. We helped build some parts of a beehive for a member. It was alright. Owen Sound came down to stay the night cause of interviews in Barrie the next day. Our dinner appointment at the Zumbachs was really cool! I got to sit next to Lori. Who is my favorite. She is 10ish and likes alligators. She is super fun to talk to. We had gourmet grilled cheese for dinner and the whole time Clelianne was trying to make fun of my sandwich. So last time we had dinner at this member's house, we were sharing our “spiritual thought” as it happens. I was bearing testimony of the book of Mormon and how it is such an inspired book that you can learn something from every verse. Jazzalie kinda challenged that by bringing up the stereotypical teenager “what about ‘my father dwelt in a tent’?” We talked about that for a bit then kinda moved on and we left not really thinking much about it. Well Thursday, when we were there again, we were talking about experiences with praying and the spirit and that sorta thing. The same daughter that asked about “my father dwelt in a tent” went on to tell us how later that night when she was reading her scriptures, she tried out what I bore testimony of and said that it totally worked! It was just a really cool moment for me because bearing testimony definitely does affect people. After that we went home for the night.

Friday we got up and started the long trek to Barrie which again, is about an hour and a half from Orangeville. We had to go to Barrie because President Shields was there doing interviews. Again this whole process took up until about 2 o'clock and then we still had to drive back home and do studies and stuff like that so not much was accomplished this day either.

Saturday was really good! We helped Ryan Gosling's Uncle and Aunt more with the beehives. But we went to a dinner appointment at the Jones. So we had poutine and we were talking about what we wanted to put on it, cause you can put whatever you want. And we made roadkill venison chili poutine. It was fantastic.

Fast sunday this week was really great too, always is really. I just love going to church. It is really the only place where I can think about myself as a missionary because of when I partake of the sacrament. I can't do that for anyone else, it is only for me.

Yesterday (Monday) was a long day! Hahahaha let me preface by saying I did have a lot of fun doing this, it reminded me of football and lifting weights. So you don't have to worry about them abusing me while I am here. We were doing service for a nonmember and his family, They live/ work on a motorcycle repair garage type place. Well over like the last 50 years this place has been building up parts and motors and everything so they built sheds and things like that to keep them out of the rain. Well as it turns out, in Canada, you can't build sheds like that without the property being zoned. So he needed to take them all down, along with the stuff that was in them. So he bought a semi trailer and we started in the morning to fill this thing up. And we kept lifting and moving and lifting all this stuff all day, until one level of a two story shed he built was empty. It was heavy stuff for sure. Just to show how much we lifted and moved, afterwards I asked him how many motorcycles could be built from the parts that we moved alone. And the guy said anywhere from 300 to 500 bikes could be built. So you can imagine, we are pretty tired today and a little sore hahahaha.

Thanks for everything that you all are doing for me! I love serving the Lord, there is nothing better than what I have been doing for almost the last year now. I love you all and hope you have a great week!

Love, Elder Talbot

Also, I took pictures but I don't have my camera naturally, so here are some pictures of not me.






No comments:

Post a Comment