Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Hammock Happenings

Well, it was a massive roller coaster of weather this week. Wednesday, it was freaking hot. It was around 30 degrees (86 F) and super humid. I wanted to die all day. Thursday was less hot but it rained all day and then Friday and Saturday was sweater weather cold. It was weird. Humidity is really annoying. 

It was a fairly slow week. Not too much happened. We are over our kilometer limit for the month so we decided to try and bike. Well, we tried. And we biked something around 15 ks. It wasn't too bad, but it was basically uphill both ways and windy the whole time. It was also the first time I had ridden a bike my whole mission so it was one way to get it started. But the next day, I was absolutely dead.
 
We met with Samantha again and we are still trying to get them to understand the importance of church/baptism. We thought it went really well and that they understood. And the mom committed to bring them to church! We were super pumped but they didn't end up coming this week. Which was lame. She also wants to be baptized in like 3 weeks. Looks like we have our work cut out for us.

We played basketball on Saturday, which was pretty fun. Brother Morton had to leave early though, so he could go to a "gourmet hot-dog festival." We were intrigued so we texted him after asking if the local missionaries could go crash the festival.  He told us we could but he told us it was a lot smaller than he had anticipated. We got over there and it was pretty much just one hot dog stand. But it was 4 dollars so we went and got ourselves some hot dogs. They were honestly probably the best hot dog I've ever had. It had corn relish and this tomato aioli sauce and it was amazing. Heatherlys is what it is called. While we were eating our hot dogs, Brother Morton texted us saying he had some service for us. So we hopped over there and they were going to open their pool that day. They had a cover on top of it but it had collected a bunch of water over the winter. So we got all the leaves off and found a ton of frogs. So naturally we decided to catch them all and throw them in a bucket. We caught somewhere around 15 to 20 frogs. It was pretty fun. We then went with Brother Morton and dumped them in a pond thing. Brother Morton is probably one of my favorite members. He is hilarious. 

Yesterday was Victoria Day so we didn't have p-day yesterday. But The Penny's had us over for dinner so we could catch their fish. They are moving to a different house, still in the area but they aren't bringing the fish. Only two fish were caught. I caught one and Simon caught one. Simon put his on the ground while he went to grab his phone to take a picture and it got in the pond again. So I cleaned mine up and Sister Penny cooked it up for dinner. It tasted pretty good. And it was fun catching a fish. 

Tatjana the girl who got her mission call, and is leaving in like three weeks, texted us this morning and she has a friend who wants to learn about the gospel. It is pretty sweet that she is already doing missionary work. 

I put a hammock up in our apartment. Pretty pumped for that. It is nice to relax. I was reading the bible one morning while I was in there, (I fell asleep while reading Isaiah and woke up to find my scriptures open to James.) I read chapter 4 in James and verses 7-10 are the ones that stuck out to me. 

7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.
10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.
Being on a mission, I really have had to put myself aside and put my trust in the Lord. I know for certain that he has been there for me every step of the way and he has helped me so much more than I could ever imagine. 
Yep. I hope you all have a great week. 

Loves
Elder Talbot 

Elder Tarter, Elder Talbot, and the Morton's Dog

Elder Tarter, Brother Morton, and Elder Talbot

 Cedar and Lila Penny


No comments:

Post a Comment