Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Fishing in the Empty Sea (MTC)

Someone told me when I got here that the days go by slow but the weeks go by fast, and that might be the most true thing this week besides gospel related stuff. I got to Thursday and it still felt like it was early in the week. And I decided the best way to get to know people and get close to them is spend every hour of the day with them. 

There's also a bunch of stuff that I left out last week and I'll probably leave most of it out again. One of the things I left out was that my classroom is on the fifth floor, so everyday I have to go up five flights of stairs like fifty times.. or some number close to that it feels like. My classes are boring most of the time, but every once in a while I have a really cool experience so I guess that makes all of it worth it. My class window faces the temple which is really cool, but the only downside is I miss the sunset every night which sucks. 

I got to go to the temple this morning. I really love the temple and the spirit that is there, but also how much I am able to learn when I go. And a bonus is I can eat breakfast there and don't have to eat MTC food for a meal. 

My district has some of the coolest people I ever met. We sometimes get more distracted than what we should but we have a lot of fun so it's chill. Elder Manfull might be the best story teller on the planet. He could tell a not so funny story and I still could die laughing.  It's also pretty amazing what a missionary can accomplish/figure out when they're bored. Like being able to play the kazoo (aka the name tag) or building a fort out of lobby couches. 

I actually have to do stuff now being the zone leader. I think I have to plan sacrament meeting and all the other Sunday stuff, and just look out for my whole branch. I also have to carry around a crappy flip phone that literally only works if I'm calling the branch president. 

The offer still stands to send me dear elders, still would love you forever if you did. 

love,
Elder Talbot

Also, I leave for Toronto at five o'clock in the morning next Monday (September 26, 2016) so I don't know when my next email will be. :)

Additional details from emails:
What are some of the really cool experiences you mentioned and are you writing them in your journal?  One of them was I got to give Sister Bently a blessing yesterday and the spirit like flows through you what you need to say then it all of a sudden just shuts off and that's the end of the blessing. Yeah I have been really good at keeping journals.

Are you sad to leave the MTC and are you teaching lessons?  No. I taught a investigator last week and I'm teaching two this week. I don't know if they are real or not. (People pretending to be investigating the church but  are actually members or true investigators.) I'm getting better at them the more I practice.


From left to right: Elder Petrie, me, Sister Praeter, Manning, Grey and Bently. The bottom row is Elder Robinson, Jensen, Reeder, Manfull, and Prestwich.


Lobby couch fort...

. 

No comments:

Post a Comment